[CS-FSLUG] Death of the Net, One More Time

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sun Jul 11 19:58:27 CDT 2010

I've never heard of Kai Tischen, and I honestly don't know enough to
evaluate the writer's technology assertions. I tend to believe it's
hyperbole, but not simply false. I'm not particularly interested in
discussing the political points made, but I would like to know if what is
suggested is technically plausible.

------------

Conficker, Cyber Emergency, and the Internet Kill Switch
by Kai Tischen
posted on Cryptome.org July 11, 2010

"Conficker's obfuscated code, stealthy peer-to-peer mechanisms, evasion of
network filtering, and sophisticated updates are exemplary in the world of
worms. If Conficker has any equal in its combination of technical
inscrutability, pervasiveness, bulletproof networking, and steady
innovation, it's another application called Skype. Like Conficker, Skype
obscures its operation from debuggers and disassemblers, can't be
effectively blocked on the network layer, stumps experts with its
formidable peer-to-peer system, and is backed by a team dedicated to
preserving these advantages. Skype works this way to gain specific
commercial advantages. Conficker works similarly. But why does Conficker
even exist?"

http://cryptome.org/0001/conficker-kill.htm

--
Ed Hurst