[CS-FSLUG] OT: (Long) Help with Shepherd's Staff -- OnTopic: Moving to Open Source

Cia Watson ciamarie at my180.net
Sun Jan 17 17:39:01 CST 2010

For what it's worth, I have a laptop with only 256mb of ram and I've
got Fedora 11 and linux Mint (ubuntu based) running on it. Fedora's yum
is a bit slow and the gui yumex is painfully slow; and I wouldn't think
of using Open Office on it -- but otherwise it's running.

I installed both from LiveCD's. I tried booting some other distro's
livecd's (including Ubuntu 8.10, slackware, arch) and got kernel panics.
I hate it when a kernel panics.

With 512mb Mint would probably be fine, with Abiword and gnumeric and
gnucash and I don't know what else it'd need. Xiphos or BibleTime, of
course :-) Upgrading ram to at least 1gb maybe 2 shouldn't cost very
much. Then you could run just about any distro.

All the best in your attempts to move to FOSS!

Cia