[CS-FSLUG] ICCM

Dave & Ella McMullen DavidM at HisFeet.net
Tue Jan 5 14:43:09 CST 2010

A very interesting thread.  I am a sort of "roving" missionary. That is I
work with migrant laborers in the seasonal harvest fields. That means that
I don't stay all year in one place. In fact I do a good deal of traveling
in Mexico, spending most of the winter in the area of Culiacan Sinaloa.
When I am in Mexico I don't have ready access to the internet.  With Dos
that wasn't a problem. With windows still not much of a problem (but
windows has other problems).

With Linux that can be a huge problem. If you run into any sort of snag
when you are miles from anyone else using linux, and have  no connection
to the internet, You just can't get the needed input (programing, or
advice), until you can get connected to the internet. The notion of using
ham radio is intriguing but I'm guessing not yet possible.  We now have
satellite radio in our motor home, and I have wondered about the
possibility of someone connecting a server to satellite radio, (might be
possible, but I suspect "up"  communication would be very slow).

At the moment, I'm thinking that maybe an 'interim' answer might be to get
a 'mature' version of linux with all of its disks of programming that
might be available for it.
.       DaveM