[CS-FSLUG] ICCM

Greg Slade camsoc at vfemail.net
Tue Jan 5 10:33:54 CST 2010

 > Tell me about their Linux/BSD usage. How extensive is it? How did
 > they get involved in that?...

I'm afraid these questions are based on a fundamental misconception.
ICCM is not an organisation. In fact, you could say that ICCM, in and of
itself, doesn't use Linux, or Windows, or Mac, or anything, because
ICCM, in and of itself, doesn't even exist.

(Well, okay, I guess you could say that ICCM uses whatever operating
system Yahoogroups runs on, since most of the year, ICCM exists in the
form of a set of Yahoogroups mailing lists. Oh, and the web site. The
year that I went, ICCM was hosted at Abilene Christian University in
Texas, and I believe the web site was hosted there at the time, so you
could say that ICCM was running on VAX/VMS at the time.)

Basically, ICCM is a talk shop for missionary techies from a bunch of
different agencies. Each agency has its own strengths and challenges, so
getting together and talking things over allows us to learn from each
other, and hopefully spread good ideas from one agency to another, so we
all end up using "best practices". (Although sometimes an agency's
internal culture, or previous tech decisions, will constrain which
solutions can be implemented.)

Probably the biggest single challenge to wider implementation of Linux
on the average missionary's computer boils down to the lack of a single
application, or class of applications: a contact/supporter/donor
management tool designed for the individual missionary to keep track of
their own donors. I know of several tools for Windows which allow the
missionary to download a comma-delimited file of donations from the
agency's financial system each month, and then crunch the numbers. (How
many people gave to my ministry last month? What was the average giving
per donor? What's the average amount of donations each month over the
past 12 months? Is the trend up or down? Am I meeting my budget on a
regular basis? Who's new? Who's stopped giving? Do I need to go out on
deputation soon? Can I replace my computer this year?) I know of a few
applications like this for Windows, but none at all for Linux. (Or Mac,
for that matter.) There is no other single application which would have
as much impact in terms of convincing missionaries to consider using
Linux than this.

Greg

--
Greg Slade
I can't remember if I'm the good twin or the evil one.