[CS-FSLUG] HTTP GET request

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Fri Dec 31 19:37:45 CST 2010

I'm trying to read up on the background chatter we seldom see when we
surf the web. I understand enough of the GET request to do it manually
with telnet for simple things. For those of you who know more than me,
perhaps you can answer a hypothetical question.

Pretend I'm having trouble with DNS, as indeed happens too often where I
live. Let's say I know the server IP address, and I know the domain
names hosted there I would like to see. In a graphical browser, telling
it to find a certain IP address doesn't usually serve much purpose,
since that's usually a generic landing page (frequently supplied by
Apache). Is there a way to formulate the URL in my graphical browser so
that it asks the server for a particular domain we know it's hosting
when DNS won't provide the translation?

Ed Hurst
--------
Open for Business - http://ofb.biz/