[CS-FSLUG] FoxNews.com - The Death of the Hard Drive

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Thu Dec 16 20:43:22 CST 2010

On 12/16/2010 07:42 AM, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller at lightlink.com> writes:
>> What do all of you think?
> I think it's bad journalism to try to equate "replacing hard drives with
> flash memory" to "everything will be in the cloud now," which is what a
> huge fraction of that article tried to do.  I will rejoice when flash
> storage becomes price-comparable to spinning drives, but both are local.

Yes, they are as far as I'm concerned. What I think the author was
hinting at,
and from what other articles have indicated, ALL the RAM on a 'puter
will be
used for, is downloading any application you need, then running it in flash
memory. Storage of YOUR data will be in the cloud. I'm TOTALLY against
having most of my data there. In fact, I have data that MUST be kept
secure. It's not see the "light of day" on the Net. and never will!

> E.g. reference to iPad having no drive...yeah, sure, but it's got some
> several dozen GBytes of storage anyway.  And to question the browser
> "which is the access point for most of your files anyway, right?
> ... Most of what you do is online, isn't it?" is beyond absurd, both for
> myself as a software professional and for my woman as a child therapist
> who is still virtually computer illiterate even after 15 years with me.

"And to question the browser "which is the access point for most of your
files anyway, right?" NO.....not now and NOT in the future!

> Let's see, for us...
> Personal files?  On local storage.
> Mail?  Local storage.  No, I don't use Yahoo or GMail much.
> Work-related material?  All local.  (Oh, yeah, like my bosses want me
> storing company secrets somewhere we/I don't control.  Riiiiiiight.)
> Pet projects that I toy with, on and off for years at a time?  Local.
> Her client files?  Oh, all LOCAL, baby...think HIPPA restrictions.

Yep....you got it! Think photos I've taken that involve court
action....VERY sensitive data there. NO COTTON PICKIN WAY am I going to
allow some company like Google, MickySoft or any other to control that
type of data!! NOT in this lifetime nor the next!! :)

> I even use Dropbox for a bunch of stuff.  But it's a backup/replication
> solution, not primary storage and not even a filesystem as such.
>
> "Different local storage" is not even in the same concept as "the cloud."
>
> Yeah, we all use the network a lot.  I have a whole career driven out of
> networking.  My co-workers are 5000 miles away so as a result we believe
> in networks more than most.
>
> But anyone suggesting that "the cloud" is where EVERYTHING naturally
> MUST and WILL live is uttering nonsense.
>
> Really bad journalism.

Well, there there are a LOT of bad journalists then....properly
pronounced with a Swedish accent, by the way. ;) Oh yes, one entity that
really would like EVERYTHING to be in "the cloud," are governments.
Centralized data is much easier to get and control if it's all in one
place...so to speak.

Fred

--
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Thomas Jefferson