[CS-FSLUG] Internet War?

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Fri Dec 10 07:30:46 CST 2010

2010/12/10 Ed Hurst <ehurst at soulkiln.org>:
> But I'm much more interested in the
> question of whether this DDoS campaign by Operation Payback will
> actually accomplish much, or even if it could.

No. I doubt it. Because the people involved are just children, with
children's attention spans, and the maturity of children (and it
doesn't matter if they are 16 or 26 or Assange's age, 39--they have
the emotional maturity of young children). No, I'm not trying to
insult them. It's just what it is. So, they will get bored and/or
frustrated with the lack of real results, and go on to the next big
thing, leaving this sort of thing to the real players (terrorists,
rogue countries, etc.)

And, as to whether the US is restricting "internet freedom".... well,
regardless of how you view Assange, et al, their actions _are_ an act
of war. As such, they have opened themselves up to attack. Look at the
threats he has made if he is "killed" (I love that one! Talk about
narcissism and hubris!) or captured. Sorry, these are not the threats
of someone worried about freedom, but of an enemy combatant (oh, and a
baby: see above). He's attempting to use "freedom" as a cloak for his
perfidy, and many people have been duped by it (and I'm sorry if
someone reading this is one of them, but truth is truth). If he were
truly concerned about freedom, he would be attempting to find and
"leak" info from all major player (countries). No, he picks one
country--the most free of them all--and attempts to bring it down. No
attempt to do the same for Russia, or Britain, or his own country, or
other free nations. No, just the US. BTW, I think he knows that if he
tried to do this to Russia or China, he _would_ be dead. His "fear" of
getting killed, therefore, is just posturing. (He's also a coward).
So, the end result is that no, I don't expect any long-term effects
from these people or their ilk.

Oh, one last thing. The leaked material is not going to shake things
up, because you can guarantee that all the other countries are
currently breathing a sigh of relief that it wasn't _their_
communications that weren't released to the public! Sure, there will
be the public posturing about how terrible these revelations are, but
they all know what they say amongst themselves! Nothing to see
here--keep moving...

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland