[CS-FSLUG] Karmic Koala

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun Nov 1 22:19:46 CST 2009

Ed Hurst wrote:
> Eduardo Sanchez wrote:
>

>> But again, Ed, since we are on it, perhaps it would be time to try some Slack
>> derivatives, such as BlueWhite 64, Slamd64, VectorLinux, or Slax. They have
>> all the Slack advantages, and (hopefully) nothing of the objections.
>>

> There was a time when digging into it with code splattered all over me
> was quite fun. It's no fun any more. I've gotten lazy about Linux
> because I just want to use it, not learn more about it. Anything Slack
> based would be starting all over again.

Yes, it would.
> Besides, it appears not a one of them have GNOME, and I recently tested
> enough of KDE 4 to know it's even less fun that it used to be. XFCE, on
> the other hand, doesn't do enough for me.

Have you tried the just released, not beta nor RC versions, Ubuntu 9.1?
> In other words, while I have no real objections to Vector, for example,
> I'm just not interested in exploring any more. I'm not testing any more
> Linux distros. It's mature enough I shouldn't need to dig into the
> details any more. Little stuff I'll fix, but I'm not switching to a
> completely different philosophy. Believe me, I've read plenty about
> Slack derivatives in the past two years, and it's not for me.
>
> I'll probably play just a little with Syllable OS when it comes out with
> a final, simply because there has to be something powerful for older
> hardware, and nothing in Linuxland comes close to the small footprint of
> Syllable. Even then, if it gives me too much trouble, I'll drop it.
>
> But don't stop promoting your favorite. Everyone should feel free to do
> that. The combined knowledge of this list is something I treasure.

YES......that is very true, even with Tim using a Mac. :)

I want to point out here that the "shots" between Tim and I have been
going on for a LONG time....we've been friends for a very long time....
just so no one gets the idea that any jab one way or the other is of
any serious nature.

Fred

--
Someone is a liberal when you can't reason them out of
anything, because they never reason themselves into any