[CS-FSLUG] French police switch from Windows to Linux

Raphaël Pinson raphink at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 04:07:16 CDT 2009

Yes, this is great.

It is not actually the French police that switched to open-source software,
but the "gendarmerie", which is slightly different. The gendarmerie is a
part of the French army which is close to the population. While the police
belong to the ministry of interior, while the gendarmerie belongs to the
ministry of defense, and I think this plays a big role in their choice
aswell, which I believe is not only motivated by money but also largely by
security concerns. I have read interviews of French generals who had really
understood the necessity of being able to access the source of every program
they used in the army, and to not use proprietary programs made by foreign
companies to manage important (and potentially secret) data.

The gendarmerie has become an example of a an administration using
open-source software in France. Not only do they use them increasingly, but
they also contribute to it. Quite a few times, they have revived dead
open-source projects that met their needs, and contributed back their
improvements to the community.

More than just a matter of money, the way the gendarmerie has been improving
their IT policy in the last 10 years is an example for all the French
administration services, and hopefully for other countries, too.

Raphaël