[CS-FSLUG] IMAP or POP3

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Sat Mar 21 08:02:50 CDT 2009

Actually, you usually do not need to do anything on the server-side to
set it up to do IMAP. Some of the IMAP/POP servers do need a
configuration option enabled in the config file, but most distros have
this enabled by default.

What happens with IMAP is this.
1) Your client connects up on the IMAP port (or another port if you have
changed it).
1.5) Your client negotiates SSL if you have that configured
2) Your client logs in
3) Your client requests new mail
4) At that time, the email is pulled from the central repository
(/var/spool/mail the same location as POP), and is moved to your home
drive on the email computer. (/home/dmcglone)
5) Any new email *headers* are downloaded to the client. The email
itself remains on the server.
5.5) If you have things set up to work offline, it will download the
whole email message.
6) As you delete, view, or change location of an email, these changes
are sent to the server where the action actually occurs.

The only thing you need to do to use IMAP is to have it enabled on your
server (changing config files, perhaps enabling an entry in
/etc/xinetd.d, changing a firewall rule, etc), and setting your client
to use it. You do not need to change the location of where files are
stored or anything. That is done automatically by the IMAP server.

- Tim Young