[CS-FSLUG] IMAP or POP3

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Sat Mar 21 07:40:47 CDT 2009

On Saturday 21 March 2009 1:01:38 am Timothy Butler wrote:
> > But from what I know (or believe I know) about IMAP is that it is
> > much better
> > to use for scenarios like this.
>
> 	Absolutely, IMAP makes the most sense for the reasons Tim (the other,
> I'm not talking about myself in the third person!) already said.
>
> 	I've been using IMAP that way for nearly five years now. It works
> great. I regularly access my mail via a couple of computers, webmail
> (Roundcube IMAP client via cPanel) and iPhone and all of them work
> together nicely thanks to IMAP.

Ok, I'm going to reply here, because the rest of the replies are of course on
my laptop upstairs and I'm too lazy to go up there and boot it up and transfer
the mail here. Another reason I guess I should be using IMAP. LOL

Anyway, LOL. Here's how I have it setup so far. I have fetchmail retrieving my
mail with POP3, because AT&T as far as I know only uses POP, so fetchmail
retrieves my mail and puts it in /var/spool/mail/david.

My question is, basically all I need to do is configure fetchmail? or postfix?
to start putting the mail in an IMAP folder instead of /var/spool/mail/david.
Is my logic correct?

I already have IMAP running and listening:
david at buddy:~$ netstat -l | grep imap
tcp        0      0 *:imaps                 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:imap2                 *:*                     LISTEN

All I really need to do Is from what I have read, put my mail into folders
that are used for IMAP and not POP.

Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net