[CS-FSLUG] A couple things

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Fri Mar 20 07:50:57 CDT 2009

Hi there,
I do think that getting a larger HD would be a good thing.  HDs are
extremely cheap these days.  I recently got an external 1.5TB HD for $130.

As has already been said, VNC over the Internet without any encryption
is a very bad security thing.  It sends the password in plaintext, and
leaves your computer open for virtually anyone to log into it.  The ssh
port-forwarding thing is a very good option, but it can be a bit
difficult for non-techies to grasp (especially if there are multiple
computers you are trying to VNC to.)  If you do not need to connect to
the windows 95 computer, I would recommend using Hamachi as the VPN.  It
is very easy to work with.  You would simply install it on the computers
you are connecting to, and connecting from, and install vnc on those
computers.  You will not need to mess with dynamic DNS at all.  But
hamachi is not a free tool when used in a commercial setting.  So it is
a trade-off between ease of use and finances...

Either way, Make sure you encrypt the VNC traffic.

    - Tim Young