[CS-FSLUG] troubleshooting POP3

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Thu Mar 19 19:36:41 CDT 2009

Hi all,

I've installed postfix and have set it up on my desktop. Everything is working
as expected. so I installed dovecot for pop3 functionality so I can retrieve
e-mail with my laptop also, but for some reason everything I try, my laptop
complains it cannot find the host(desktop). "unknown host buddy.dmcghome"

My desktop is buddy.dmcghome and adding this or pop.buddy.dmcghome or
pop3.buddy.dmcghome or mail.buddy.dmcghome doesn't work.

each computer is using a fixed IP and can connect to each other, but for some
reason I sure can't retrieve any mail.

Anyway, can anyone tell me where I could get a clue as to what is going on,
other than a simple error stating "unknown host buddy.dmcghome"

Last note: I do have each computer in my /etc/hosts file, I can ping each and
so on and so forth.

Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net