[CS-FSLUG] Good distro for the MSI Wind

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Sun Mar 1 02:09:21 CST 2009

I've got an MSI Wind. I just put a new hard drive in it, and set it up
for triple-boot. I currently have Ubuntu, but looking at my old hard
drive, and thinking about all that work I put into my Ubuntu install
on it, the thought of doing it all over again is rather intimidating.
(Is there any way to clone a drive, like in OSX, whereby I can move a
bootable hard drive to another, larger, bootable drive--SuperDuper is
what I used, for the curious?)

So, since that is kind of daunting me, I'm finding myself not booting
my Linux partition like I used to. I thought, therefore, I might try
some other distros. It's a bit awkard, however, because I do lack time
to experiment, and I have one requirement. BibleTime _must_ be in the
repos. I'm quits with compiling it from source. ;-)

Here are my preferences MSI Wind U 100--first gen:

1. Apt-based. I know apt, and am comfortable with it. But I'm willing
to try, so saying as it's not too awkward.
2. Hardware must work out of the box: Realtek 8187SE, web cam (don't
know--Buffalo?) sound in and out. power cycling, and
software-controlled hardware keys.
3. Easy install from CD or DVD
4. Multiple DE or wm options--one area I like to experiment
5. I know there was a 5, but now I don't remember it--oh, OOo 3 a must.
6. I would like something that works with the short 600pixel screen. ;-)

Any thoughts?

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland