[CS-FSLUG] Freedos

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Thu Jun 18 17:22:12 CDT 2009

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:59:18 -0500, Dave & Ella McMullen
<DavidM at hisfeet.net> wrote:

> There is a wealth of programs on the internet available for "Dos"
> Including Audio programs, grafix programs and Gui interfaces.  Some of
> them are comercial, but many of them (probably most) are now freeware or
> open source plus a great deal of "abandon-ware".
>
> Freedos works well, and it is very fast, by itself, or within Linux.

I've used it recently with the old Enable Software suite, so popular with
government offices up until about 1990. By 1994 it was all phased out,
bought out by MS and buried. Except, you can still get the last release
 from private enthusiasts. FreeDOS does a surprising amount of setup during
installation, to include trying to identify the networking chipset and
getting the stack running. Using Enable under DOSEmu on some Linux distros
failed to pass the raw printer data, but would break the page formatting.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good virus scanner for DOS.
When F-Prot ended their DOS version a couple of years ago, I wondered what
would happen with the many folks I know about still running DOS.

--
Ed Hurst