[CS-FSLUG] Kennedy: Linux slips into Microsoft's warm, deadly embrace

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Wed Jul 22 20:52:57 CDT 2009

Kennedy: Linux slips into Microsoft's warm, deadly embrace

Embrace and extend: That has been Microsoft's competitive mantra for as
long as I can remember. So it comes as no real surprise to me that the
company would choose to release, via the GPL, device driver code that
more closely integrates Linux into the Microsoft virtualization
ecosystem. After all, it's not like Linux will be running the show in
this relationship. Rather, it's making the FOSS (free open source
software) community's fair-haired boy feel more comfortable as it
settles into the warm, fatal embrace of Hyper-V that is the Redmond
giant's ultimate goal.

Make no mistake: This is a hostile action on Microsoft's part. Its
stated mission is to squash Linux like a bug, and the easiest way to do
that is to feign friendship -- to offer a bogus olive branch, then
switch it out at the last minute for a nasty bundle of thorns.

http://ifwnewsletters.newsletters.infoworld.com/t/5561710/250558731/205463/0/

--
"Where's The Birth Certificate?"