[CS-FSLUG] 10 Things for Linux Desktop Evangelists to Ponder

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Mon Jul 13 01:09:15 CDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 12:35 AM, Fred A. Miller<fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:
> 10 Things for Linux Desktop Evangelists to Ponder

Interesting article, but here is a thought for discussion...

As I read the article, I couldn't help but think of some parallels...
So, when I got to the comments, I wasn't really surprised to see that
the first comment I read on the page said this:

"Want something else to ponder, ponder the term evangalism."

This poster obviously didn't like the comparison to Christianity, as
he continued:

"Do you really want to equate it to religious dogma and intolerance?

Be an advocate, that way you can still slam the door in the faces of
the evangalists when they come knocking on the door about $DIETY ."

However, since this is not my point, I will let his ignorance rest for
the moment. What I _want_ to do is point out the _similarities_
between Christianity and Linux.

It seems that the same objections raised in this article parallel
objections people raise against Christianity.

My point, however, is this...

If somebody said, Christianity needs ot change its image, and do the
following 10 things to become more popular, acceptable, or
respectable, yet those 10 things would change the very
character/nature of what makes Christianity what it is--is that advice
valid? Would you accept it? Now, believe it or not, my post is _NOT_
about Christianity. For one, we already know that many people have
attempted to follow such advice (hence the whole contemporary/emerging
church movements).

My question is this. Is it truly _wise_ to demand these 10 changes on
Linux? Would Linux still be Linux, were these 10 changes foisted upon
it? Worse, would it succeed?

What attracts me to Linux is _not_ that it's like Windows--it isn't
and ought not be, nor like the Mac either--although it could take some
strong hints on user friendliness and system integration. Linux is a
breath of fresh air in a computer world of hegemony. Linux's strengths
are the very thing these 10 items are proposing to eliminate!

Like Christianity, you don't spread Linux by molding it to popular
conceptions, opinions or taste/fashion. Linux will and can spread
simply by being Linux. It is Linux's fractured state that protects it
from the dull hegemony that is Windows. Granted, it doesn't have the
beauty and seamless integration that the MacOS has, but that comes
with a price, too (think $$). I love my Macs, but the fact that
someone can give me a computer, or I can buy a 10 yr old Dell laptop
for a pittance, and toss _some_ variety of Linux on it to get it
running means a lot to me. The hegemony that this article describes
would _preclude_ such an opportunity.

Ironically, I found his comment that "free" is of no benefit in
"marketing" Linux--people want to pay! Sounds like the grace vs. works
argument to me. People would rather have religion than free grace!

Just some thoughts to ponder and potential converstion starter. What think ye?

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland