[CS-FSLUG] Just never satisfied....gotta fix what aint broke...

Jim Isbell, W5JAI jim.isbell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 20:52:01 CST 2009

On 2/3/09, Stephen J. McCracken <smccracken at hcjb.org.ec> wrote:
> Frank Bax wrote:
>  > Jim Isbell, W5JAI wrote:
>  >> On 2/3/09, Frank Bax <fbax at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>  >>>  You need to either:
>  >>>
>  >>>  1) configure your router to bridge between the two subnets.
>  >>
>  >> Probably possible, but the documentation is rather sketchy.  I have
>  >> the Network Everywhere (Linksys)  Cable/DSL 4-Port Router NR041.
>  >
>  >
>  > LinkSys NR401 seems to be a wired router; the pictures I find on the
>  > internet do not have any antennae for wireless.

Not quite.  What I have is the wired router that is connected to the
internet by a cable modem and has four ports available.  The two,
Linux and XP, computers (not counting the Telephone server) are on two
of the ports.  The WiFi transceiver is connected to a third port.  The
fourth port is available for the telephone server, which is how I am
now using it.  Works fine that way.  The WiFi is used by my two
laptops and any guests I might have with laptops to gain access to the
internet.

What I had hoped to do was to put a WiFi dongle on the telephone
server and hide it away in the closet where it was not seen.
Currently it has to sit on the desk next to the wired router to make
the connection.  Yes, I could run wire through the attic to the
closet, but I thought it would be easier to just put it on the WiFi,
but as stated earlier the other computers cannot go through the wired
router to the WiFi to access the server if it is on WiFi.  The server
WORKS fine on WiFi, but cannot be accessed by VNC........yet........

Jim Isbell
you are just taking up too much space."