[CS-FSLUG] Just never satisfied....gotta fix what aint broke...

Jim Isbell, W5JAI jim.isbell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 17:35:48 CST 2009

On 2/3/09, Frank Bax <fbax at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>  You need to either:
>
>  1) configure your router to bridge between the two subnets.

Probably possible, but the documentation is rather sketchy.  I have
the Network Everywhere (Linksys)  Cable/DSL 4-Port Router NR041.  The
set up is accessed by entering 192.168.1.1 into the web browser. I
didn't see anything interesting except for a note about "Forwarding"
where it stated that enabling UPnP would allow Internet users to
access a server on my LAN.  It is enabled however and on the other
hand, I don't want others "off" my LAN to access my server anyway.
But there is a lot of stuff in there and I don't want to mess with it
if I don't know what I am doing...#8-)

>  2) configure WiFi DHCP on router to use 192.168.1.z

This I think I could do....maybe  What is "z"  There is a place where
I can modify the routers address from 192.168.1.1 to something else,
but this doesnt seem like what I want.

>  3) Change netmask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0

Couldn't do this as it will allow only 255.255.255.xxx.  I can modify
the xxx but not the previous byte.

>  Exactly how this is done depends on the router software.
>
>  Frank

Jim Isbell
you are just taking up too much space."