[CS-FSLUG] Just never satisfied....gotta fix what aint broke...

Jim Isbell, W5JAI jim.isbell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 10:30:20 CST 2009

Thanks to everyone that helped me get the telephone server computer on
line with access from both the Linux and the XP computers on the
network.  Its working fine now.

But...as always, I can't leave well enough alone and tried an "improvement".

1) I tried accessing the server (while it was directly connected to
the router) through the WiFi (which is connected to the network)  with
my laptop using the same address that the network computers
use....didnt work.

2) Then I tried putting the server on the WiFi connection to the
router and using the new address that ipconfig yielded tried
connection with the network computers.  Didnt work.

Is there some reason that the address given by ipconfig is not valid
when going through the WiFi?

I have the WiFi transceiver situated in the Linux box in a spare
expansion slot.  I think it only uses power from the computer as the
Ethernet connection goes to one of the ports on my router and it works
even when the computer is turned off.  The WiFi works fine to connect
my laptop to the internet so is obviously on the network.  But,
getting access to the telephone server with VNC would be through the
router and then the WiFi.

When I run ipconfig on the server while directly connected to the
router I get the address 192.168.1.103  (the addresses on the 4 ports
of the router are 192.168.1.101, ....102,.....103 and ......104)  When
I ran ipconfig on the server, when the server was on WiFi, the address
I got was 192.168.2.3.  I tried the new address in the viewer on the
Linux and XP boxes and it just returned an error that it could not
connect.

It probably doesn't matter, but in case anyone asks, the Linux box is
on 192.168.1.101, the XP box is on 192.168.1.102, the XP Telephone
server is on 192.168.1.103 ( or on the WiFi as mentioned) , and the
WiFi is on 192.168.1.104

Returning to the direct router connected method, everything worked fine.

Any suggestions, or is it impossible to do what I am trying to do?

--
Jim Isbell
you are just taking up too much space."