[CS-FSLUG] Learning C++ with Linux

Josiah Ritchie josiah at ritchietribe.net
Sun Feb 1 09:22:17 CST 2009

Most distros have development packages, you just have to install them
separately. I know Ubuntu does and you could put that on a USB key. It
wouldn't be as simple as some others, but it'd work.

For basics you just need to run:
sudo apt-get build-essential

For more info:

JSR/

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 3:26 AM, Ron Thompson <ron.t at xplornet.com> wrote:

>    I'm back for some more help & direction.  Other than use the standard
> packaged software in Linux for the last few years I haven't gone much
> further.  I'd like to pick up some basic programming and Nathan has loaned me
> a good starter book for C++  But the problem I'm finding is that there seem
> to be fewer standard distributions that include software development
> packages.  Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems harder to find a list of
> packages included in the major distributions.
>
>     Ideally, I'd like to have a bootable USB drive or CD with Linux (and the
> development software) on it so I could take my lessons and projects with me
> and maybe put a some time into them at lunch.
>
>     I'm looking for some help to find a suitable light version of Linux that
> is CD or USB drive bootable.
>
>         Ron
> --
> Ron Thompson, |^|
> Yellowknife, NT, Canada
> "Who are are these that fly as a cloud, and as doves to their window?" Is 60:8

Our Mission
Technology and Hospitality for God's Workmen
http://missions.ritchietribe.net