[CS-FSLUG] Muslim outreach success stories

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Fri Dec 18 11:08:43 CST 2009

One of the first things you will see if you try to find "evangelize
Muslims" stories is that there are (and should be) very few of them.  If
you look at most any of the mission organizations that work with Muslims
and you will see that they shy way from terms like "convert" and
"evangelize."  Those are terms that are looked upon very badly from the
Muslim perspective.

I have three short stories from one organization I can share.
Gobal Recordings (globalrecordings.net) has the Gospel in over 5,800
languages and dialects, in audio-tract form (cassette, CD, mp3).  Here
are three shortened stories about some of those.

Working in a Muslim nation:
In one predominantly country where Christians are persecuted, there was
a completely bizarre Christian outreach.  It turned out that there was a
people-group minority within that country that was considered
"Christian."  For generations these poor people, when they were born,
had the word "Christian" put on their birth certificate.  They did not
know Christ, they did not attend church, they did not have a
relationship with the Lord.  They did claim to be Christians, but it was
simply because they were supposed to do so legally.  They were
considered Christian by the government, and therefore a persecuted
people.  Global Recordings had a great outreach to those people.  Even
though they were in a Muslim country, the people they were reaching out
to were already "Christians", so the Muslims did not do anything to stop
the outreach.  I do not remember the numbers, but it was a very
effective outreach.

Working in a Muslim neighborhood (a not-so-good story):
My brother was working in England once, trying to do some testing on
some of the recordings they had tried to distribute in the past with
little success.  He went into a Muslim neighborhood and passed them out,
saying he would be back with a questionnaire to see if they liked them.
The next day, he came back through the neighborhood.  Some of them would
not open their doors, but most yelled at him.  The best came when a few
of them threw the cassettes at him.  My brother was able to play the
cassettes to see where the people had stopped listening to them.  He
found that the script was very "western" and went about it the wrong
way.  After talking to a Muslim who had accepted the Lord, they came up
with a different script that was called "Wise sayings."  It contained
many proverbs from the scriptures, many of which they knew already (the
Bible is considered a holy book, and many of the Biblical characters are
known and respected).  Towards the end, they had a number of wise
sayings from Jesus, one of which is, "I am the way, the truth and the
life.  No man comes to the Father, except through me."  This new message
really gripped the various people when he tried it out, and many people
came afterwards to ask questions.
Standard Christian practices of evangelism do not work, but that does
not mean God is not capable of softening their hearts.

Working outside of their comfort zone:
By far, the most effective place to meet with a Muslim is outside of his
environment.  Campus Crusade, Navigators, and other college ministries
are probably the most effective ministries to Muslims, simply because
they target college students in neutral countries.  They also focus on
"friendship Evangelism", which seems to be the most effective approach.
Groups like the Crescent Project have a number of ministries towards
Muslims in the USA.  The same brother I mentioned above recently was
part of a very interesting outreach over the 4th of July in Washington
DC.  The Islamic Society of North America had 45,000 Muslims gather at
Washington DC on the 4th of July, 2009.  A number of Christian
ministries used that opportunity to share the Gospel, passing out the
Jesus Film, Bibles, tracts, and the Global Recordings materials.
Handing out many of these things on their home turf usually results in
them shunning the giver.  But while they were outside their comfort
zone, they at least accepted the gifts.

It is not my personal ministry to work with Muslims.  So I do not have
names of individuals who have accepted the Lord that I can share.
Various family members of mine do.  And I have worked at organizations
that had various staff who had been Muslims, but they had found a faith
in Christ.  The work with the Muslims is definitely slower than when
working with "seekers", but every mission for the Muslims that I have
worked with has had their stories of success, both within closed
countries, and within the borders of the USA.

Anyway, I guess these are not "easy to replicate" stories.  But they are
stories.  I have a number of stories that I cannot relate, as I do not
have permission to share them.  :(  But I have some other good ones.

    - Tim Young