[CS-FSLUG] Moderator's Clarification

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Thu Dec 17 17:47:52 CST 2009

On Dec 17, 2009, at 12:11 PM, Ed Hurst wrote:

> Finally, anyone is free to object, appeal over my head to Tim, etc.
> I don't take myself that seriously.

I'm happy to hear appeals to our policy in general, although I should
clarify to the list that Ed and I have certainly talked about this
sort of thing many times and the conclusion has remained the same.

Basically, I'd say the best thing to do is try to limit OT posting. If
someone has already posted five things on a single OT subject in a
week or two, unless it brings something crucial to the table everyone
needs to discuss, let's try not to add a sixth. Every time OT posting
on Muslims, the "evils of Democrats," etc., get out of hand for
awhile, we start losing members and your moderation team cracks down.
Once Ed or I close a thread, people remember for awhile and behave.
Then we start again.

(It should be noted that Ed and I are in different places politically,
so lest anyone think we are somehow biased, I think we balance each
other out.)

On the other hand, I encourage those bothered by posts to do as Josiah
did and filter. Filtering helps us to select the areas we want to hear
from in a mailing list, working around some of the limitations of our
format. You might just want to filter out OT posts all together. Or,
say, OT posts from certain senders. That way you can still hear those
folks contributions on other topics.

As a third point, let me encourage folks to contact the moderators
when they have a concern, rather than just leaving. We do try to
strive to fix things, but each person has different tolerances for
when moderation should happen. Personally, I often just skip over the
vast majority of things posted on this list... and other lists I am on.

On a personal note: I'd say Christians have so many problems
internally, that while external issues such as threats from Muslim
extremists are relevant, but are over represented.  First, we need to
figure out why the divorce rate amongst Christians is as high or
higher than the national average. We need to figure out why so many
Christians come off hateful rather than loving. We need to figure out
why so many people are being hurt by the church. There are enough
damnable problems amongst us that if importance was related to
frequency of posting, I suspect very few of our posts would focus on
anything but ourselves.

	I don't say this to critique anyone. I've been friends with both Ed
and Fred for the better part of a decade. And speaking of Ed, let me
encourage everyone to give a tip of the hat to this dear brother who
has been a faithful moderator to this list for so many years, quietly
doing thankless work in the background much of the time.

	-Tim