[CS-FSLUG] OT: My wife is from this small town in NY.

Josiah Ritchie josiah.ritchie at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 12:55:31 CST 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 1:45 PM, l4c <l4c at thelinuxlink.net> wrote:

> Josiah Ritchie wrote:
>
>> I leave you with a few
>> quotes from the SAT7Network's last month of Twitter posts.
>>
>> "Man in prison in Iran: I have been condemned to death here however I
>> want to get my final condemnation from the Lord and need your prayer."
>>

> I don't believe for a second that the prisons in Iran allow their inmates
> to post to twitter, or anywhere for that matter.  I bet he cannot even have
> lunch let alone visitors or communication of any kind.  In fact, all the
> countries you mentioned are Muslim nations and are on the hot list for human
> rights violations.   These countries heavily filter their access to the
> internet - just look back at the recent demonstrations in Iran where that
> girl was shot in the street and people had to sneak the video out of country
> on a phone memory stick.  I don't believe these people are posting anything
> like this, they would be killed for it.

The posting of that comment does not suggest that he tweeted it. I rather
think he had a visitor who was able to send the message out by some means
not unlike the one you talked about. For us to speculate on what is and
isn't possible in these countries is a bit far fetched unless we have
first-hand experience. We could be dealing with small regional police forces
with limited resources. In some parts of the world, the police carry machine
guns but can't afford bullets. They look far more intimidating than they
actually have the ability to be. Such sweeping generalizations are harmful.
We simply don't know the facts

JSR/

--
Our Mission
Technology and Hospitality for God's Workmen