[CS-FSLUG] Best Wireless-N Routers

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Mon Aug 10 19:58:21 CDT 2009

On Aug 10, 2009, at 7:34 PM, sjm wrote:

> Timothy Butler wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>    I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on Wireless N routers?
>> There seems to be no consensus on which ones are actually capable
>> of delivering good performance. Some folks say...
>
> My first question would be what performance do you need?  (Does it
> matter whether a Porsche or a Corvette can go faster when the speed
> limit is 75mph?)

	I'm looking for as fast as possible, ideally for below $200. The idea
is to offload some multimedia projects onto a NAS that can then be
used reasonably well wirelessly. The closer I get to the theoretical N
maximum speed, the better. That's why I'm intrigued by dual-band
routers, but they don't necessarily look like they were any faster in
real usage than 2.4 GHz ones.

> My second would be does dd-wrt support the router?

	Potentially a good question, though I usually use stock firmware.

> Also, are you talking performance as in speed or reception
> (distance, multipath, walls, or tested in ideal situations in a lab
> three feet from each other)?

	Ideally speed in good, but not perfect conditions. I.e. router is in
one room, computer is separated it from one interior drywall wall.

> My guess would be that most N routers would work.  I, personally,
> look at what is supported by dd-wrt and then look to availability,
> warranty, and price.

	Thanks!

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "The theologian who labors without joy is not a
Editor, OfB.biz   | theologian at all. Sulky faces, morose thoughts
tbutler at ofb.biz   | and boring ways of  speaking are intolerable in
timothybutler.us  | this field."
                                                       -- Karl Barth