[CS-FSLUG] won't identify monitor - cured itself

Marco Tedaldi marco.tedaldi at gmx.ch
Sun Aug 9 08:36:54 CDT 2009

Hello David

Davidm at HisFeet.net schrieb:
> I'm a mechanic and I hate it when a machine just "get's well".  When that
> happens, I don't learn anything, and whatever problem is there may only be
> half solved, and return tomorrow.
>
> When I booted this computer this morning, it came up with a resolution of
> 1400x900.  It still won't let me choose my preferred 1280x768, but I guess
> I'll leave it alone for now while I study it.

Something similar has happened to me. Most of the time it is not a
monitor but a driver issue.
If you have a card which is only supported in VESA mode by the free
driver you might have such problems. As soon as you have installed the
commercially availlable driver (or the distro tool did it for you), the
problem vanishes as if there never has been a problem.

your description of the behaviour sounds something like this to me.

So what distro, graphics card and monitor are you using?

god bless you

Marco