[CS-FSLUG] Senator Obam

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Sun Oct 12 01:50:41 CDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 12:36 AM, David McGlone <d.mcglone at att.net> wrote:

> Why the switch? I've been considering giving gnome another look lately,
> because I hear so much about how clean cut it is. What I mean by that is
> sometimes KDE just seems cluttered and everything just strewn about in the
> Kmenu.

If you really want clean-cut, and want a full de, then you ought to
give xfce a look-at. I have run it on Xubuntu and Puppy Linux, and
really like it. Unfortunately for me, at the moment, I'm a but
enamored by compiz (and its OSX-like "expose" feature) and some of the
Gnome integration features (I think the "Print preview" function that
creates a pdf like in X is part of Gnome, right?) to bother with the
effort of making the switch back to xfce. I sort of wish I had just
installed xfce to start with on my Wind. I wasn't thinking. But I
really like the clean-cut look of xfce, and its powerful simplicity.
If you want a system with the powerful simplicity of OSX, then I think
that xfce is as close as you'll get. And the more I talk, the more I
suspect I'll be wasting my afternoon installing xfce here today. ;-)

I'm also partial to icewm. It's not the lightest of windows managers,
and it may be "ugly", but there are a few themes that just pop! And I
kind of like how it works. I am also partial to the icewm panel.

I think that KDE tries too hard to do everything--and do it like
Windows--and OSX, and because of this, it tends to get
cluttered-feeling. Weirdly, however, it never feels sluggish, despite
all it does. The downside is that to get it to look truly nice, you
have to put a lot of effort and extra software into it. Right now, I
want my system to work out of the box, and Gnome on Ubuntu gave that
to me. So I'm sort of stuck with it. ;-)
--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland