[CS-FSLUG] [Linux4christians] Firewalls for Linux?

l4c l4c at thelinuxlink.net
Fri Jun 13 14:02:35 CDT 2008

Greg Slade wrote:
> One of the things I need to do is research malware defences for the
> three operating systems we support (Windoze, Mac, and Linux.) For
> viruses, that's easy, because Virus Bulletin tests Linux products,
> too. However, the only comparative site I have found which is clearly
> based on testing (as opposed to considerations like popularity [aka
> market share], user interface, or the size of the marketing budget) is
> Matousec
> (http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php),
> which only tests Windows firewalls.
>
> Can anybody point me to a reliable source of comparative testing for
> firewalls which run under Linux?
>
> (Note: I am not talking here about implementations like Smoothwall,
> which are designed to run on a separate machine, but rather something
> designed to run in the background on a user's Linux box, which in our
> case probably means a notebook.)
>
> Greg

Hmmm.  What I can tell you is that I have used several products and the
one in this area I like most is Ossec (http://www.ossec.net/).  Now on
their site under awards they have some documentation they have some
information, however, the best method of determination would be to
install several different products and config/test them yourself.  Use
something like Nmap and or Nessus.

Hope that helps.

-Linc.