[CS-FSLUG] OpenSolaris Users?

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Mon Dec 22 20:26:09 CST 2008

Ed Hurst <ehurst at soulkiln.org> writes:
> Anyone on the list with experience in OpenSolaris or Solaris? I'd like
> to get your impressions.

I've used OpenSolaris enough to ensure that some software of mine will
build and run there.

It was mildly nightmarish in first setup.  Immediately after getting it
installed, first task is to run some obscure commands to bump the whole
system forward beyond initial release to a whole new set of package
revisions.  Then run the package manager to go find all the random
packages one needs to install, because it does not install much by
default.  This included chasing down GNU tools including gcc and
friends, plus all the GNOME-related development packages.

It runs OK but there are glitches that I can't much tolerate, including
the fact that gnome-terminal simply doesn't know how to exit cleanly in
this ("200805") release -- when you logout of the shell, the terminal
simply gets stuck, and one is left with having to swat the upper-right
corner's X button.  I think this is somewhat poor for any modern release
of an OS.

All other things considered, it runs well enough, it's a good performer.
I just find it administratively suboptimal.