[CS-FSLUG] fyi, migration the other way, linux=>windows

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 23:42:28 CST 2008

David McGlone wrote:

[snip]
> I see.
>
> I was wondering whether constantly shutting down and booting would be harder
> on the computer or not.

I remember a similar question being asked on Slashdot once. Many of the
people who answered seemed to be of the opinion that hardware is
designed now to easily handle being shut-down and then started up again
with minimal wear and tear. Whether you put your laptop into sleep or
hibernation, the hard drive still spins down and that's perhaps the most
delicate piece of electronics in the computer, so the only difference
that I can think of is that when you shut down your laptop it takes
longer to restart and there will be more disk-thrashing for a moment
while your OS boots.

Nathan T.