[CS-FSLUG] fyi, migration the other way, linux=>windows

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Sun Dec 14 08:40:17 CST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Sophie Hamilton <cs-fslug at theblob.org> wrote:
> Actually, Windows is fine with hibernation. I know this, because I use
> it pretty much all the time when I use Windows.

So, why does nobody I know trust it or suspend? When I mention it to
my Windows-using friends, they laugh at me! They don't trust it. I
trust my Linux installs with both sleep/suspend and hibernate. I've
never had a problem, just like with my Macs.

> (and what's this about "surely, Linux can't be worse"? Linux is not a
> panacea. It can be worse, and from what I've heard about Linux
> hibernation, it is.)

So, worse than unreliable? Both of us are speaking from anecdotal
experience, but mine is pretty broad, because at some point, I became
curious, watching Windows-users shutting down, instead of "sleeping."
I've made it a point of "abuse" for my Windows-using friends, in fact.
;-) As I said, I don't know one Windows laptop-user who trusts Windows
for suspending or hibernating--though, I believe they trust hibernate
more than suspend--which is absolutely never done. Go figure.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland