[CS-FSLUG] Church Management Software

Robert Wohlfarth rbwohlfarth at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 17:07:51 CDT 2008

"Micah Yoder" <yoderm at gmail.com> wrote:
> I like to advocate simply using PostgreSQL and forget about
> abstraction, because:
> * It has as many features as any open source engine
> * It has a VERY strong community and is NOT going away
> * It is multi-platform
> * It has a rich feature set ... transactions, ACID, schemas, boatloads
> of built in types and functions, storable procedures in many
> languages, now full-text search
> * It has a BSD license, allowing it to be used with software of any
> license
> * It is not tied to the whims of a single company
> * It has a very sane user/role/permission structure (unlike others ...
> *cough* MySQL *cough*)

What are the advantages of a database like Postgresql over text files?
A lot of the commercially available packages use databases. But I don't
understand the value for the cost.

--
Robert Wohlfarth
rbwohlfarth at gmail.com

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find;
knock and the door will be opened to you. -- Matthew 7:7