[CS-FSLUG] OS/2 Anyone?

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Apr 6 17:21:58 CDT 2008

>> I was also a big OS/2 fan back in the day.  But now .... why???  It's
>> dead.  It will stay dead.  What's the point?
>>
>> IBM's botching of marketing OS/2 and subsequent dropping of it is
>> really what convinced me to never depend on closed source software
>> for
>> anything important.  Regardless of the whims of any company, Linux
>> can
>> *never* suffer the same fate!  That's worth a lot to me.
>
> Well, to be fair, you can't entirely blame IBM on OS/2's fate.
> Microsoft played a far more important role in killing OS/2 than IBM
> did.

	A friend of mine wrote a good piece on the death of OS/2 a number of
years back. Might be of interest since OS/2 came up:

	http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/1864/

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Into this Universe, and why not knowing,
Editor, OFB.biz   | Nor whence, like Water willy-nilly flowing:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | And out of it, as Wind along the Waste,
timothybutler.us  | I know not whither, willy-nilly blowing."
                                            -- Edward FitzGerald