[CS-FSLUG] OS/2 Anyone?

Jason Franklin jpfagapeu at mac.com
Fri Apr 4 22:08:00 CDT 2008

On Apr 4, 2008, at 2:41 PM, Vincent Danen wrote:

> * [2008-04-04 16:24:06 -0500] Ed Hurst wrote:
>
>> Vincent Danen wrote:
>>
>>> *If* you can install Ubuntu.  Unfortunately, I found a machine that
>>> wouldn't even install on it.  Had to stick with my trusty
>>> Mandriva.  =)
>>
>> I've found Ubuntu won't even boot on some machines. Others it would
>> never complete loading. These same machines are running other distros
>> just fine. Not sure what to make of that. On one ancient laptop I had
>> Debian vanilla get all installed, then when trying to install Grub
>> before the reboot, the thing shutdown. Same laptop ran RedHat just
>> fine.
>
> Yeah... it's thinks like that which make me not a huge fan of Ubuntu.
> I've had systems that Ubuntu won't boot (to even get the installer
> going), but SUSE handled it fine (less some hardware support), and
> Mandriva worked 100% (everything supported).

Same issue applies to almost every version of Linux I think.  Granted
I haven't tried them all, but on various machines, differint distros
wouldn't work.  I was able to install and use Ubuntu on my old IBM
ThinkPad without issue.  It installed cleaner and worked better than
many other distros I tried on that machine.  I dug it.  To each his
own I guess.

Jason P. Franklin
Christian/Husband/Father/Missionary
Westwood Bible Fellowship