[CS-FSLUG] Old problem with Ubuntu, XP and Samba

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Sun May 13 11:44:17 CDT 2007

Hi,
With all your OSes, it gets a little confusing to make sure I know which
OS we are trying to connect to/from.

My understanding is that you are trying to connect from a Linux box to
an XP box, and are wondering what URI to use?

XP really likes having a username/password with it, so I usually use:

smb://guest:@192.168.0.2/printers/Brother

This is the syntax smb://[user[:password]@]computer/path
The :with the @ immediately following says to use a blank password for
the guest account.