[CS-FSLUG] wireless woes

andrew at dothedrew.net andrew at dothedrew.net
Mon Jul 23 10:48:30 CDT 2007

> I have four computers, one mac and one linux hardwired, and one of each

> on wireless. The MAC address filtering has kept my Network (which was

> being regularly invaded by 6 to 12 people) squeaky clean.

Just thought it was worth chiming in and noting that MAC filtering and

encryption serve somewhat different purposes. While it's true that WEP/WPA

encryption can keep people from joining your network without the proper

key, they also -- more importantly -- encrypt your data over the "wire". In

addition, MAC filtering will only keep casual users at bay, as more

determined users can sniff and spoof your internal MAC addresses.

@

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 22:04:47 -0700, Gabe Ginorio <gginorio at sbcglobal.net>