[CS-FSLUG] Verse of the day -- how to auto-start?

Fred McKinney fredmck at yhti.net
Thu Jul 5 23:40:45 CDT 2007

Hi, y'all -- I just joined this evening and this is my first post, and
I've been a Linux user for the past 2½ years now, and I don't miss
Windows one little bit.

A couple of months or so ago, I discovered a program called Verse.  How
it works is you open up your terminal, type "verse", and it displays a
Bible verse of the day.  I would like to set this up so that it
automatically pops up to the verse program in the terminal whenever I
log into KDE (I'm a MEPIS user, BTW -- I've tried several distros but I
always find myself coming back to Warren Woodford's great Linux
masterpiece), but I don't have a clue how to do this.  I went to XAMPP's
website and tried to follow their tips for getting XAMPP to start
automatically and substituted where Verse was for where XAMPP is, but
that didn't do anything for me.  Back when I had Windows 3.1 through 98
on my computer, I used to have a similar program that displayed a verse
of the day on startup, but it started giving me error messages in
January of 1999 (obviously it was not Y2K-compliant!), which left me
with no choice but to uninstall it.

But now that I've discovered a program that does the same thing, how do
I get it to automatically open a terminal screen to the verse of the day
whenever I log in?

Thanx in advance,
Fred in St. Louis