[CS-FSLUG] June 2007 Distribution Releases

David McGlone david.mcglone at att.net
Tue Jul 3 22:44:22 CDT 2007

On Tuesday 03 July 2007 9:17:36 pm Nathan T. wrote:
> I'll be honest, I've been using Mac OS for a while, but spend far too
> much money getting away from Linux (to Windows) because of recent
> developments in distributions. It seems these days if you want to
> find instructions on how to get multimedia playback there's no
> shortage if you use Gnome, but little information if you use KDE. To
> add to that I'm still finding that KDE just doesn't get the TLC it
> used to and current distributions are releasing polished and
> customized Gnome desktops while neglecting KDE. To make matters worse
> because KDE centralizes a lot of it's functionality into it's own
> libraries it's getting messier to add in support for MP3s when that
> gets removed, if my memory serves this was particularly an issue for
> me in Slackware 10.0.
>
> I'm actually considering using Gnome, but at this point I suspect
> it's too late. Mac OS is probably my best chance at getting away from
> Windows now (although I did just recently get a copy of Halo 2).
>
> I'll probably have more to say about this later, except that I think
> it would be easy for Linux to match the safety net that Mac OS feels
> like, while at the same time not having a huge hardware tax attached.

Tim urged me to try Kubuntu or Ubuntu and I opted for Kubuntu because I'm a
kde user. I have been using it on both my laptop and desktop without a hitch
for probably between 6 and 8 months. MP3 support works just fine for me, all
I did was opened Amarok and tried to play an MP3 and Amarok automatically
downloaded MP3 support, installed it and played my music. As for movies, I
didn't have to do anything whatsoever, they just worked. My network was even
as simple as ever to set up, didn't even have to hack up fstab. I enabled the
multiverse and universe repositories and java and macromedia was also simple
to aquire and install.

I don't think Ubuntu has neglected KDE at all.

As far as I'm concerned Ubuntu has outdone themselves and made Kubuntu surpass
any distro I've ever used in the 10 years I've used linux.
--
David M.