[CS-FSLUG] June 2007 Distribution Releases

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 20:17:36 CDT 2007

I'll be honest, I've been using Mac OS for a while, but spend far too
much money getting away from Linux (to Windows) because of recent
developments in distributions. It seems these days if you want to
find instructions on how to get multimedia playback there's no
shortage if you use Gnome, but little information if you use KDE. To
add to that I'm still finding that KDE just doesn't get the TLC it
used to and current distributions are releasing polished and
customized Gnome desktops while neglecting KDE. To make matters worse
because KDE centralizes a lot of it's functionality into it's own
libraries it's getting messier to add in support for MP3s when that
gets removed, if my memory serves this was particularly an issue for
me in Slackware 10.0.

I'm actually considering using Gnome, but at this point I suspect
it's too late. Mac OS is probably my best chance at getting away from
Windows now (although I did just recently get a copy of Halo 2).

I'll probably have more to say about this later, except that I think
it would be easy for Linux to match the safety net that Mac OS feels
like, while at the same time not having a huge hardware tax attached.