[CS-FSLUG] WinXP install review

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Thu Jan 11 07:06:26 CST 2007

Frank Bax wrote:

> ADP payroll software (from a Canadian Bank) logon procedure complains
> if  C:\WINDOWS\ADPWIN.INI is not writable (although it appears the real
> issue is write access to WINDOWS directory).  Program must be run as Admin.
>
> Kyocera-Mita KM-3035 network printer, scanner, copier, fax.  Cannot print
> unless user is Admin.

I've seen any number of articles complaining this is the fault of coders
too lazy to work through the issues of user rights as provided by
Windows. It does require some extra work, they say, but should be the
standard procedure, as it is in the Unixland. Funny how the profit
motive serves the customer more poorly. I've not seen a really good
analysis from either an economic or other Social Science approach as to
why that is so.

--
Ed Hurst