[CS-FSLUG] WinXP install review

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 11 06:28:28 CST 2007

In the past, several people have shared their experiences with Linux
installations.  I thought I'd do the same thing with WinXP.  We have
several staff in the office running SuSE, but we also use some software
that doesn't have Linux alternatives, so Windows is installed on several
systems.  We already had two WinXP systems in the office so not all
negative experiences were a surprise, but is documented here anyway.  We
recently replaced four Win98SE systems with new units purchased from Dell;
they came with so much "free" software on them that we did not want/need, I
was forced to do a Wipe/Load right away.  My son told me about nLite
software that can be used to answer many of the install questions ahead of
time, so we used that to create a custom install disk.  It had a few
glitches, but overall it worked well and I think we were ahead of the game
in the end.  The plan was to not disable any security software included
with WinXP and create user accounts that do not have Admin
privileges.  It's now been one week since the initial installs were done.

OpenOffice, Firefox and Adobe reader were installed and used without
issue.  IE was disabled.  An old version of Norton AntiVirus Corp Edition
continues to download virus definitions, so we continue use it.

ADP payroll software (from a Canadian Bank) logon procedure complains
if  C:\WINDOWS\ADPWIN.INI is not writable (although it appears the real
issue is write access to WINDOWS directory).  Program must be run as Admin.

Kyocera-Mita KM-3035 network printer, scanner, copier, fax.  Cannot print
unless user is Admin.

Kyocera Scanner File Utility can be installed as service; but when this is
done, scanned files cannot be saved to network share (local only).  When
not installed as service, remote shares can be used; but user must always
be logged on for system to work (user startup folder is used).

Adagio financial package.  We were forced to change Language settings from
Canada to USA in order for cheques to print properly aligned.  At this
point, all user accounts were already Admin, so we haven't tested this
software in this regard.

I don't know if these problems belong to each vendor or Microsoft, but I am
certainly surprised that a platform as old as WinXP still has this many issues.

Frank