[CS-FSLUG] Infamy alert service?

Ritchie, Josiah S. jritchie at bible.edu
Mon Jan 8 13:52:22 CST 2007

On Friday 05 January 2007 22:13, Legatus wrote:
> On 1/5/07, Ed Hurst <ehurst at asisaid.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone ever heard of a service which alerts people when their
name
> > freshly appears on any website? I'm supposing this is the sort of
thing
> > that tracks press coverage.
> >
> > Apparently my search terms are too generic, because I can't locate
such
> > a thing by search engine. BTW, this is not about me.
> >
> > --
> > Ed Hurst
>
> The best I can think of is to do a search for your name in google, and
then
> use the rss feed it creates to monitor for new hits.

Talking specifically of Google, it's called Google Alerts, and it can be
for
any search term you're interested in.

http://www.google.com/alerts

I'm sure other search engines have them, but that's the only one I'm
familiar
with.

I've used Google Alerts for this purpose for quite awhile. I have
company/ministry names in there along with my wife's and my own. It is
interesting to see what comes up on those. Her name often comes up with
stories about "Blue People" from some remote area is the Appalachain
mountains or something. There is also a newspaper photographer floating
around with the same name who has been harassed by police. :-)

JSR/