[CS-FSLUG] [OT] Closing Out 2007 on a Good Note

Don Parris parrisdc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 22:34:28 CST 2007

Hi all,

This is fairly personal, and I hope, something of a testimony.  I feel a
little like the blind man right now, the one that Jesus told not to tell
anyone what He had done for him.

I have managed to accumulate a few large debts over the years, for better or
worse.  Partly due to my wife's health, having to balance car repairs with
paying the mortgage and utilities, etc., and facing other minor crises at
various points, I have not been able to keep up with all my debt.  When I
really needed more money in my position at LXer, I lost the job.  That
really hurt me badly.  As of today, however, I have officially settled one
outstanding debt, which would have served as a tremendous thorn in my side
if allowed to drag on.  I settled it completely for about half of the total
owed.  This not only represents a fair savings in future interest and pure
hassle, it also frees me to start settling other debts as the opportunities
arise.

Here's what led to today's settlement.  I wanted to take some money that I
got for Christmas, and put it into savings.  But I realized that I cannot
save at the same pace at which my debts were piling up, especially
considering the interest involved.  When I received the opportunity to
settle the one debt, I tried to call and find out more.  But their computers
were down the other day.  Meanwhile, I took the money from the recent work
the Lord blessed me with, to help pay off the debt.  I should have a little
money left over to either help cover other expenses, or maybe even put down
toward a medical bill.

I can only give God the glory for being able to pay off this one debt.  I
still face a serious uphill struggle, so I hope you'll keep me in your
prayers, as I endeavor to continue my forward progress.  I have often felt a
lot like "Shleprock" (from the Flintstones), where finances are concerned.
Everything I set my hand to just seems to fall apart.  Doors slam in my
face.  All seems hopeless.  Even my few successes have not been enough to
stem the tide of financial disasters.  I wish I could express my years of
frustration, watching things fall apart for no apparent reason.  So my hope
is that this will lead to yet another debt cleared.  And that I will become
a wealthier man, both spiritually and materially, in 2008.

Of course, my biggest Account was settled long ago.  ;-)  I pray you all
will be able to celebrate successes in 2008.

Blessings,
Don
--
D.C. Parris
Minister, Journalist, Free Software Advocate