[CS-FSLUG] Okidata Printer, OMNI and CUPS on Ubuntu 7.10

Don Parris parrisdc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 18:03:38 CST 2007

Hi all,

I have an obscure one for you.  I need to get an Okidata Pacemark 4410
working with Ubuntu 7.10.  The Okidata site refers me to IBM's OMNI project
(the link is actually dead, but there is still a SourceForge page).  The
only documentation on OMNI discusses how to define a printer, and there is
mention of taking input from CUPS, but no mention that I have seen as to how
to actually configure the printer, OMNI and CUPS to all play nicely
together.

I am guessing we can get the printer working by simply changing its
emulation mode and using the CUPS driver for the emulated printer type, but
I was hoping someone here might have some experience that might be
helpful/useful.  I have learned that the PM 4410 will emulate the MicroLine
printers, but Okidata's website doesn't say which model.  A couple of
alternatives are available as well.

Any thoughts on this?

Don
--
D.C. Parris
Minister, Journalist, Free Software Advocate