[CS-FSLUG] Christiansource Digest, Vol 46, Issue 12

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Mon Dec 17 06:58:33 CST 2007

On Monday 17 December 2007 00:39 Georges Rodier wrote:

> So, all in all, an interesting little story but not one that would
> likely move any atheist toward the Light.
>
> Georges

Well said, Georges. If anyone could argue an atheist into a corner, it
was Josh McDowell. And so he did, some decades ago. He won a debate
against a panel of the sharpest minds in academia. It changed nothing.
Not one of them repented and came to Christ. Only the Holy Spirit can
convict; it will never come about due simply to reason -- though it may
well be a tool God uses.

I rant about this aplenty on my blog.  Our Western brand of Christian
faith relies too much on the crumbling foundation of Aristotelian
logic, when all of Scripture rests on a particular branch of Eastern
Mysticism. The former is wholly ill-equipped to move beyond the
tangible and intellectual abstract world. Abstract reasoning will never
capture the essence of revelation. It is man-centered, assuming all
knowledge can be grasped by the human mind. It assumes the absence of a
spirit. Revelation works in the spirit, often out of sight completely
from the intellect. It yields a harvest in the human mind first as a
will to obey the Lord. It will invariably include obeying things which
defy logic.

--
Ed Hurst