[CS-FSLUG] Commodore Amiga

Georges Rodier georges.rodier at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 13:37:34 CST 2007

" Message: 2
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 07:10:00 -0800
From: Jason Franklin <jpfagapeu at mac.com>
Subject: Re: [CS-FSLUG] orphaned OS
To: "A Christian virtual Free Software and Linux Users Group."
	<christiansource at ofb.biz>

The only time I ever saw an Amiga was in Germany around 1991.  I was
very impressed with the graphic capabilities.  It blew away anything
I'd seen.  To whom was that computer marketed and what ever happened
to it?

Jason Franklin
Christian/Husband/Father/Missionary
Westwood Bible Fellowship
pastor.jason at westwoodbf.com
web: www.westwoodbf.com
blog: www.westwoodbf.com/tboc "

I too remember these most interesting, and for me, almost affordable, machines.  They certainly were available in Canada and I must suspect in the US as well.  I did a quick Internet search using Clusty and came up with several histories of the Commodore Amiga - here's a link to one:  http://www.heartbone.com/comphist/AmigaHistory.htm

Here's an interesting quote from that article, "Did you know that /the very *first certified Unix System 5 Release 4 *implementation was on the *Amiga*/? The other 68000 based systems such as the Atari ST and Apollo Workstations could also run REAL Unix.  It seems as if the Intel based machines were too kludged to properly handle the complexities of a professional multi-tasking OS.  Oh well, at least Linux (Unix emulation) has taken off, and that is good since the Wintel boxes are so predominate. Heck I'm using one now, it runs Red Hat, Netscape, and UAE on a AMD K6-2 CPU."

Personally, I'm happily running ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon but thinking of trying Desktop BSD.

Georges Rodier
Richmond, BC
Canada