[CS-FSLUG] overlapping partitions

Stephen J. McCracken smccracken at hcjb.org.ec
Wed Oct 25 10:31:54 CDT 2006

Hilding wrote:
> Stephen J. McCracken wrote:
>
>>> May I ask, is it "sudo fdisk (and then??) in Terminal?
>>>
>> Since you don't want to save those partitions, I would try fdisk first
>> before testdisk.  Yes, it is the above.  Then an "h" in fdisk would
>> bring up the help menu.  The three command you mainly would need are "p"
>> to print the current partition table to the screen so you can see the
>> partition numbers.  "d" to delete the partitions you want and "w" to
>> write out your changes and exit.

[snip]

> This is the result when I do "sudo fdisk h"
> Kan inte öppna h - that is "can not open h

The commands above are for use within the program, not options on the
commandline.

[snip]

> Is that correct?

No.  You get into the program with "sudo fdisk /dev/hda" (notice that is
without the number, signifying the whole disk rather than just one
partition.  Then, after entering the program use the commands I
mentioned before.  At the end, when you want to leave the program use
"w" to write and apply any changes made or "q" to cancel and leave.

sjm