[CS-FSLUG] Locked Up Laptop - Can't Reboot

Ciaran Hamilton cs-fslug at theblob.org
Fri Mar 31 12:12:19 CST 2006

Hi,

In an emergency, you can normally restart a Linux system using the Magic
SysRq key combinations below. (The SysRq key is normally the same one as
Print Screen.)

Alt-SysRq-S (emergency syncs the drives)
Alt-SysRq-U (emergency unmounts the drives)
Alt-SysRq-B (emergency reboot - reboots immediately, no questions asked.)

These combinations are recognised by the kernel themselves, so the only
thing that should mean that it won't recognise them is either the option
not being compiled into the kernel, or a kernel panic.

Hope that helps,

 - Ciaran.

On Fri, March 31, 2006 5:47 pm, Don Parris said:
> Is pulling the battery an acceptable method for un-locking a frozen
laptop?  That was the only thing I could do.  I'm working on getting
wireless up and running on my laptop, running Ubuntu 5.10.

> I am playing with a Linksys wireless G PCMCIA card, and thought I had
finally succeeded in getting my card to connect to the router - it was
the first time the link light on the wlan card lit up at all.  I made a
change to the security settings, which caused the light to flash a few
times, and then my screen froze completely.  No keyboard or mouse access
at all.  The one disadvantage of laptops is the lack of a reset button.