[CS-FSLUG] XP and or Computer acting up

Jim Isbell, W5JAI jim.isbell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 11:40:10 CST 2006

I have a computer I picked up in a thrift store.  It is relatively new
(1.2 ghz) and had XP pro installed on it.  I have a licensed copy of
XP Home that I am not using so I installed that over the XP Pro which
I am not licensed to own.  There were some issues BEFORE the
conversion that still persist today with Home installed.  I thought
that they were issues of the original operating system, but now I
wonder if they are issues of the hardware since they persist.

One is an intermitent blanking of the screen for about one second
every 3 or four minutes and the other is a lock up for about 3 or four
minutes (self restoring) every 30 or forty minutes.

I am wondering if this sounds like a contact (board edge or something
in a connector) problem?  OR  is it symptomatic of some hardware
software incompatability?

Another porblem was that when trying to install the printer in the XP
Pro I got a cryptic message that the "handle" was not reasonable or
viable or something like that.  No comment on how to solve the
problem, but converting to XP Home solved the problem.

--
Jim Isbell
you are just taking up too much space."