[CS-FSLUG] Locked Up Laptop - Can't Reboot

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 11:41:32 CST 2006

On 3/31/06, Tim Young <Tim.Young at lightsys.org> wrote:
> The standard thing to reboot a laptop is to hold down the power button
> for 10 seconds.
>
> - Tim Young

Thanks, I'll have to try that.  I honestly didn't know - this is my
first laptop, and I haven't had to perform a hard reboot before.
Anyway, I got the wireless NIC working now.  I am wire-free!  Woohoo!
(Don jumps up and down and dances around after successfully getting
wireless up and running without asking anyone for help.)

The celebration would make a great deal of sense if you knew it took 4
days to get the router to obtain an IP address from the cable modem
because I didn't let it sit un-plugged for @ 7 minutes (required if
your cable modem also provides digital phone connection).  After
geting the router working, I had difficulty with the security key
setting.  I settled on WEP for now, but even though I had tried to
change the key, it didn't seem to take.  Every time brought up the
wlan interface, it kept using the original key.  So I went into the
interfaces file and edited the entry by hand.  That worked.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/